wiki:developers-meeting-20140416
Last modified 6 years ago Last modified on 04/16/14 16:38:42

[part of a series of meetings]

Participants

Tigran, Gerd, Paul, Dmitry, Al, Christian

Agenda

[see box on the right-hand side]

Postcards

Up to two minutes (uninterrupted) per person where they can answer two questions:

  • What I did last week (since the last meeting),
  • What I plan to do in the next week.

No questions until we get through everyone :)

Dmitry: previous week on vacation; OSG all-hands meeting, goal was to attend federation workshop (at the end). Spoke with Fab. and installed fed-endpoint, added Fermi to Fermi fed-endpoint and desy-endpoint. Problems with small-files as package isn't. Patrick visiting Fermilab. Updated unpacking to follow what DESY are doing. Unpacking is done by HSM script doing dcap to prefetch through dCache. Production nodes are SL-5 only, so can't do this with NFS, but that would be an option. Tested encp on trunk, seems to be working fine.

Gerd: Finished HSM patch -- added some additional providers as examples: copy, hardlink, tar provider. FTP IPv6 stuff. Delayed-Passive happens to work with Globus clients does work with IPv6. Mattias is off sick, so have to attend management meetings. This should provide better integration with Enstore/..

Tigran: partially working with Leonne to get dCache working as we want for file synchronisation. Have everything ready for NFS for 2.9. Trying to fix the problem that the pool can run out of space. Currently client behaves very badly if this happens, so need to give some hint to the client rather than simply hanging.

Al: moving forward with the replica-manager prototype. Support defining replica constraints on storage unit. Entire logic of the replica manager is in place. Next steps is breaking up the patch for RB. THere needs to be some support in migration-module.

Christian: fall-out from OpenSSL fun. Some work for the workshop in May: mailing-list is setup this afternoon. Hard-drive is no problem. Waiting on the network guys to open the firewall. Access to the hypervisor I can't guarantee yet -- need to talk to some people. Making progress with bug-reporting patch. Wrote an abstract for GridKa? school. Prepare some changes for installation hands-on -- want to show Kerberos-based authn.

Paul: Helped with setting up an IdP here at DESY as part of the LSDMA work; worked on http 3rd-party copy and fixed problems discovered in SRM; worked on CDMI fighting against Jetty/Apache?-CXF/Spring; attended a storage info-providers GLUE meeting.

Plans for patch-releases

Should we make a new patch release?

There's a patch that can result in hanging FTP doors when the client disconnects in 2.8. The fix is merged but we decided not to release it as nobody will install changes just before Easter. We'll do a release after Easter.

Planning to back-port NFS changes to 2.6, as (at least) two sites are interested and suffering from problems that are fixed in 2.7 and 2.8. The problems Dmitry reported with ENstore should now be fixed but Dmitry will try again and see if any new problems surface.

Gerd mentioned that we should look at back-porting the xrootd changes to 2.6.

Trunk activity

Progress with new features...

Tigran: want to fix running out of space on the pool. Previously work was done to hide that this happens from the mover. The NFS mover needs some kind of indication that allocating space will cause block. This is because the NFS client interprets the lack of response as a dead server and reacts very badly if that happens.

Tigran also wants to add support for calculating checksum even if the bytes come out-of-order. Gerd mentioned that the FTP does this already, but it uses a thread. Effectively, Tigran wants to do the same, but without needing a Thread. He also plans to read the already-written data from disk if client delivers data out-of-sequence: the filesystem cache should prevent major performance problems if the writing is almost sequential.

Issues from [FIXME: Add link to yesterday's Tier-1 meeting]

Send out reminder with contact details, inc. Al in the output.

Gerd found:

https://www.uberconference.com/hangouts

https://plus.google.com/+googleplus/posts/QmrdxeK716B

Issues from EMI

Christian released 2.6.24 to EGI.

New or noteworthy

Outstanding RT Tickets

[This is an auto-generated item. Don't add items here directly]

Review of RB requests

DTNM

Proposed: same time, next week.