wiki:developers-meeting-20140820
Last modified 5 years ago Last modified on 08/20/14 17:02:43

[part of a series of meetings]

Participants

Christian, Paul, Tigran, Karsten, Al, Gerd, Dmitry

Agenda

[see box on the right-hand side]

Postcards

Up to two minutes (uninterrupted) per person where they can answer two questions:

  • What I did last week (since the last meeting),
  • What I plan to do in the next week.

No questions until we get through everyone :)

Karsten: Bugfix for Ldap Identity Plugin, Reviewing Christian's patch,

some further experiments with the SmallFiles? testbed, started to work on concurrent packaging. +SummerStudents?

Christian: Worked on bugsubmit patch, GridKA preparation, dcap,

Gerd: Fixed a number of Java8 issues, 3rd party dependencies, will try upgrading findbugs

helped Atlas with their "dark data:" procedure. Worked on a "dump"-script for them and provided it to them. Meta-Things, Webpages, etc

Al: got better, posted a patch

Dmitry: Had a look at high-CPU load on NFS servers

Paul: Catching up with eMails, Preparing talk for Karlsruhe, little bit of reviews and pull-requests

Tigran: eMails, Tickets

Plans for patch-releases

Should we make a new patch release?

No release this week, but next week there will be one

Plans for 2.11 and 2.12:

Should we release 2.11 in November - Yes

2.12 should not be a Golden Release, we should wait with the next GR

Patrick: We should announce 2.10 to be the next GR and try to convince people to upgrade from 2.6.

2.12 ... maybe 1st Feb., we could have another GR before the summer break again,

like this year... so maybe 1st Mar. would be better for 2.12 and then 2.13 being the next GR in June.

Paul to send reminder eMail to sites to upgrade to 2.13

Trunk activity

Progress with new features...

Federated Identity

Gerd: People from SweGrid? asked because they want to get rid of the problems with certificates

Paul: Created Demo. There is a Java identity provider, but the service provider has no Java API.

There is an Apache mod_shib module, and if the user is logged in it rewrited and enhances the message headers. To run with Java, currently the approach would be to run in Tomcat behind a Apache with proxy. For the Demo, dCache only had to work with X.509 and it showed SAML -> X.509 translation The best place to include the functionality in dCache would be the web. The question is, if we want to implement a SAML library ourselves or if we should go for the Apache proxy solution?

Gerd: What is the relation between OpenSAML and Shibboleth?

Paul: I think OpenSAML got renamed to Shibboleth.

Gerd: They are listed as two different products, maybe OpenSAML is the lowlevel implementation

and Shibboleth being developed on top.

Paul: ..

Gerd: What about other implementations? It would be nice to have an overview

Tigran: We will have a training from a company about LDAP, but they also have other products

in this direction, that we can ask them about.

Gerd: Running dCache behind Apache should be fine for Admins

Paul to have a look into other implementations...

Java8

All our dependencies are Java8 compatible by now.

Dmitry: Should we split SRM Client/Server?? SRM Client should still work with Java7

Paul: 2.10 will stay Java7 and 2.11 will then be Java8

Tigran: We should have a look what our target platforms will support. E.g, SL5/6, etc

Dmitry: Fermi uses OpenJDK and there are no Java8 releases, yes.

Tigran: It should be in Fedora 8.

Paul: People generally don't like installing packages from outside the official repos

Tigran: Currently SL only supports Java6 and 7, Java8 might come in a year from now.

Dmitry to do some investigation, about when OpenJDK8 will make it into the repos.

Decision postponed.

gPlazma and loading plugins

Paul: In gPlazma we have a cacheing layer that holds only one instance per plugin class.

If we fix this, it might/probably will break stable branches

Tigran: We could solve this with a switch between caching or not. And in trunk, we could

remove caching completely.

Also, we currently allow configuration in three different places.

Gerd: This would then disallow default values in properties file and we have property

dependencies.

Will go with Tigrans's switching solution

Dump-Tool

Used to detect dark data. The tool dumps paths.

Gerd: Tool dumps path, can filter by date Paul: Could we make it part of chimera-cli? Gerd: Yes, but then we would rewrite it. Paul: Basically it is a simple find? - Yes.

Index on t_dirs

Newly installed systems will not have this index and they will see performance problems at some point.

-> We probably have to fix this. Tigran to check.

This should then be backported to stable branches.

Issues from [FIXME: Add link to yesterday's Tier-1 meeting]

Marc(PIC): Planning upgrade. One customer requests sticky bit for file/directory creation.

Tigran investigates how much effort this is... actually it is a rather small change, so we will do this.

Issues from EMI

none

New or noteworthy

none

Outstanding RT Tickets

[This is an auto-generated item. Don't add items here directly]

People at Juelich are working on setting up a dCache and would app

Review of RB requests

DTNM

Proposed: same time, next week.